Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Whey of Life

I hated my dinner last night... don't try that recipe


DSCI0002.JPG


This was the bowl before it got washed in the sink... =)


When I got back from work I had a delicious snickty snack of plain chobani, dried mixed berries and a nice smear of PB


DSCI0004.JPG


I woke up feeling very good and wanting to work hard so as always I implemented the "listen to your body" rule and got a great workout! Before I left I had a pita with PB2. I killed 25 random minutes on the stationary bike and 45 minutes of isolated and compound full body weights. My legs will probably hate me tomorrow but for now we're all happy!


DSCI0011.JPG


Cinnamon Lovin'


For breakfast I had eggy oats, it had been a while! In the mix


1/3 cup oats


1/4 cup egg whites


1/2 cup skim milk


1 big scoop vanilla whey protein


Splash of vanilla extract


1/2 banana


~2 tbsp raisins


A bunch of cinnamon


Cooked with a lemon tea bag... I'm going for light flavors to trick my body into thinking it's warm out. And a cup of Tazo Zen Green for those antioxidants! Speaking of antioxidants let's have a


Word About Whey


I use a protein supplement in some way almost daily because I lift at least 3 times a week and am a vegetarian. My protein of choice is whey as opposed to brown rice or soy. At first there was not a reason and I would still be open to trying other forms but in reading The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth by Doctor Johnny Bowden which I got for my birthday and flip through fairly often I came across some great info on whey!  


According to Bowden whey protein no t only helps to build muscles like all protein but it also gives your body the tools to more efficiently build the antioxidant glutathione. This antioxidant is crucial to the immune system and helps to destroy free radicals and carcinogens that may lead to cancer. White blood cells in the liver also use glutathione to detoxify poisons in the body. And to top it all off it had been shown to reduce hypertension in patients.


So if you are considering adding a protein supplement to your diet, consider the cancer fighting effects of whey!


*Note- Whey is a milk derived protein so it is not vegan




Half way through the week, 10 days until FLA!!


Peace!


Caitlin


If you use a protein supplement, which do you prefer?


Opinions on protein intake in general?



1 comment:

  1. I love my brown rice protein. I don't normally buy whey because I am not sure if they are using whey from cows treated with rBST.

    Yes, I am a nut case ;)

    ReplyDelete