Monday, February 7, 2011

College Kitchen Red Beans and Rice

Bonjour! I had a super productive day plus I have a recipe for you! I actually planned way ahead to night and cooked! I know you might be thinking that I cook a lot but I kind of pseudo-cook with a microwave and very easy ingredients. But tonight I went down to the dorm kitchen with my ingredients and put together a great one pot dinner!


Quickly first for lunch I had a salad topped with tofu salad and skim milk on the side

Tofu salad made with 1/4th block tofu, hummus, red pepper flakes, and hummus over salad with spinach, carrots, cauliflower and raisins

And for an afternoon stretching/sociology/snack session 



Banana with a mix of almond butter and Naturally More PB
Verdict on the Naturally More? AMAZING. Enough said. 


Recipe time!


This is where it went down

And this is what was used...




College Kitchen Red Beans and Rice 
Although you could make it in a normal kitchen too =)
1/4 cup measured dry kidney beans
1/4 cup measured dry brown rice
1/2 chopped bell pepper
1/3 cup onion
about 4 chopped mushrooms
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp honey
1 tsp minced garlic
spices of choice (thyme, sassafras pepper, red pepper flakes, etc.)
About 3 tbsp tomato sauce (or you could use chopped tomatoes in the recipe)
hot sauce if desired 
Cook the kidney beans according to the directions, when they are almost done throw the brown rice in the pot. Once beans and rice are cooked add all the the vegetables and a little more water. When the water starts to evaporate add garlic,honey and olive oil. Let simmer for a few minutes. Add spices, stir up and put in the bowl! Top with tomato sauce if using and hot sauce. Enjoy at your dorm room desk! 

Before toppings

After toppings


So good and super easy!! Even easier than some of my microwave meals, go try it out! 

After dinner a little more homework time, that RARELY happens but I was motivated so I went with it. 



And of course reading makes me hungry and I want to be in France so as I type to you I enjoy
Delish

And now off to enjoy Glee and your blogs! Goodnight!

Peace!
Caitlin 

No comments:

Post a Comment